Wakizashi, Signed: Kii no Kuni Tōichi Yasuhiro (紀伊国当一康広) ‒ “Tōichi Yasuhiro from Kii
Nagasa ~ 53.9 cm
With current NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon Certificate mounted in Shirasaya, Some small stains and tiny specs of rust in a beautiful older polish.
The Ishido School
The Ishido School originated in Omi Province. Omi Province was the home of many great makers from the late Kamakura period into the Nanbokucho period. Some of the more famous smiths were Takagi Sadamune and Kanro Toshinaga. Around the Meio Era (1492), many of the Osafune-kaji from Bizen came to Omi and made swords . Among these was Sukenaga who moved to this area and is said to have founded the Ishido school
During the early years of the Edo period during the Kanei Era (1624-1644), the various groups of smiths who made up the Ishido school left Omi and split into three groups. These three groups moved to Edo (Musashi Province), Wakayama (Kii Province), and Fukuoka (Chikuzen Province). All three groups prospered and made excellent swords in their new areas throughout the Shinto period.
The group that moved to Wakayama later moved to Osaka. This group is called the Kii Ishido school. The leader of this school was Tosa Shogen Tachibana Tameyasu (土佐将監橘為康). The second generation Tameyasu (為康) was given a title and then called himself Mutsu no Kami Tameyasu (陸奥守為康). The brother of the second generation was Bitchû no Kami Yasuhiro (備中守康廣). His line continued for three generations. Other smiths in this school included Kawachi no Kami Yasunaga（河内守康永） and Bizen no Kami Sukekuni (備前守祐国). Tatara Nagayuki (多々允良長幸) was Yasunaga’s (康永) student and one of the finest Bizen style smiths to work during the Shinto period.